Sunday, January 24, 2010

Favorite Songs in 2008

Since my favorite songs in 2009 was such a popular post (I got 2 responses on Twitter!), I’m going back to the well. Plus, what better time to discuss my favorite songs in 2008 than 2 years later? Don’t say we aren’t timely here at RTS.

Anyway, just like my favorite songs in 2009, the rules are the same. These aren’t my favorite songs that were released in 2008, rather, my favorite songs that I added to my iTunes that year. (And don’t worry, I’ll be doing my favorite songs in ’04 sometime in 2015.) The playlist is at the bottom if you just want to go ahead and hit play.

Don’t Stop Believing – Journey

Has a band ever reached their apex 20 years after they started putting out good music? I don’t know anyone over 40 that likes Journey, yet all the youngish people (20-40) love to sing to them while out tossing back a few cervezas. (I love the fact that Word wanted me to correct cervezas to cervixes. I don’t know how to toss back a few cervixes, but it sounds like something a married man is not allowed to do). Anyway, Journey’s fine with me. My favorite cheesy pop-rock band of the late ‘70s/80s was Foreigner, but I’m down with this song. I don’t know how this song just got added to my iTunes in 2008. I’m pretty sure I had it during my Napster days and then lost it when my hard drive crashed in 2003 (aka, the worst time of my life). Anyway, congrats to my friends that pounded Journey into my head for the past 10 years, I’ve finally joined in.

Radio Nowhere – Bruce Springsteen
Gotta give props to local sports radio host Chris Vernon for using this song as an intro to his show. Bruce has always been one of those rock icons that I mean to spend more time listening to but never get around to it. It’s my rock Achilles heel, sorta like an all-you-can-eat buffets is to Shaq’s offseason conditioning. Anyway, I sweared to God this was a Pearl Jam song when I first heard it, which is a compliment to both Bruce and Pearl Jam.

This Time Tomorrow – The Kinks
I should thank Wes Anderson for my Kinks love. The Rushmore soundtrack made me get into the Kinks in high school and I deemed them the most underrated band of all-time. Then, after my Kinks phase dwindled over time, Anderson throws a few more Kinks songs in The Darjeeling Limited. This inclusion of this song in the movie was the only redeemable part of watching it. Nice save Wes.

Campus – Vampire Weekend
It’s hard to include a Vampire Weekend song after hearing their latest album, Contra. Vampire Weekend is fun, catchy, has a little bounce to it. I’m just pretending their 2nd album didn’t happen, sorta like the year I had Braylon Edwards on my fantasy team.

Leader – Phantom Planet
The best description I can give of Phantom Planet is Weezer-light. They don’t have any of the nerdy emo components but still retain a lot of the power pop fun. Anyway, this album was the definition of a good album. No great songs but no bad ones either.

The Angel and the One – Weezer
When The Red Album came out, I hated it. The only song I liked was “Pork and Beans.” I’ve gone back and given the album a few more listens and I don’t hate it as much. This song has grown on me. Maybe I’m just too Weezer delusion to hate them. Sometimes we get jaded by what we used to like and want to validate it. I think that happens with Weezer. I loved them so much in high school that I refuse to dislike them now, regardless of what they do. That makes no sense, whatever, I’m leaving it.

Hello It’s Me – Todd Rundgren
For whatever reason, I didn’t watch "That ‘70s Show" when it was popular. Last summer I needed something to watch so I DVR-ed (verb, to record a TV show) the entire series on FX and plowed through about 3 episodes a day for a couple of months. This song was in the pilot and it reminds me of the Eric-Donna relationship. It gives me a sense of nostalgia for a couple that didn’t actually exist in a decade in which I wasn’t born. Got it?

Postcards from Italy – Beirut
I’ve heard two Beirut songs and like them both. Yet, I’ve never bought their album or done any further investigation. I’m lazy.

You’re the Best Around – Joe Esposito
Everyone needs a little kick-ass montage rock from time to time. This is the pinnacle. I’m going to listen to this on the way to my rec basketball game tonight. Watch out opponents!

I Love LA – Randy Newman
This song was being played during the Lakers-Celtics finals. I hate the Lakers, still do, but for a brief moment in 2008, I had to support them thanks to Kevin Garnett’s douchebag chin and snarl staring at me through the TV during the NBA Playoffs. So I jumped on the Lakers bandwagon because I’d rather support an accused rapist than a Boston sports team. So what happens, the Lakers screw me by losing to the Celtics and then winning the title the next year when I’m back to rooting against them. I hate LA.

Modern Guilt – Beck
Beck seems like the type of guy that would make fun of you to your face only he’d be too smart for you to realize it until after you left the room. I like people like that.

Kids – MGMT
I’ve worn both this song and “Time to Pretend” out. They’ve probably been played on my iPod about 3,722 times over the past 1.5 years. Sometimes trendy is legit.

Bargain of the Century – Albert Hammond Jr.
I don’t know anyone else that listens to this guy. Everyone likes The Strokes, right, yet this guy can’t make it on his own? I don’t get that.

Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse – Of Montreal
Neo-David Bowie. That’s my best take on this band. Constantly crazy, good pop music. Awesome band to see live. I have no clue what they’re talking about half the time but I’m an idiot so that doesn’t say much.

Your English is Good – Tokyo Police Club
My musical listening generally goes like this. I’m either in a phase where I’m listing to music from 10+ years ago, I’m testing the water on new bands or I’m listening to songs of the past 12 months. These guys were a band I tested out and they got upgraded. I’m not sure how long this song will remain in the rotation but they’ve made it 2 years, which counts for something.

It Never Rains in Southern California – Albert Hammond Sr.
I was in a easy listening phase thanks to “That ‘70s Show” and listened to this song and Jim Croce more than any 27 year old ever should.

Song For – Earlimart and Our Life is not a Movie or Maybe - Okkervil River
Thanks to the “All Songs Considered” podcast put out by NPR for giving me these bands. Earlimart reminds me of a Travis-Elliott Smith hybrid. Okkevil River is on my music to-do list. If I could just not have a job for about 12 months to catch up on all the music, books and movies on my to-do list, I’d be good to go. I need someone to sponsor that plan.

Bag It Up – Oasis
Oasis sure did a quick drop to obscurity. I decided to plow through like 5 of their albums one month. I can’t recall the albums that I liked or disliked. I just remember liking this song.

Them Kids – Sam Roberts Band
I gotta throw those Canadians a bone since my blogmate is from the Great White North.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

No comments: